CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS AT HISTORIC ST. BERNARD PARISH COURTHOUSE AND LOS ISLENOS MUSEUM COMPLEX
The beautifully restored Historic St. Bernard Parish Courthouse, 1201 Bayou Road, and Los Islenos Museum Complex, 1345 – 1357 Bayou Road, both in St. Bernard Village, will be festively decorated for the 2013 Holiday Season. A special holiday program will be held Sunday, December 8th, 2013 beginning at 4:30 p.m. at the Historic Courthouse. Parish President David Peralta will subsidize the decoration of the Historic Courthouse. Los Islenos Society, under the direction of Christmas Committee Chairperson Kathy Serpas Ziegler, will decorate Los Islenos Museum Complex.
Toledano and Wogan architectural firm designed the Historic Courthouse in 1914. Construction was completed in 1915 and the courthouse opened for business just two months before the catastrophic 1915 Hurricane. This courthouse remained in use as the seat of St. Bernard Parish until 1939 when it moved to Chalmette. The facility reopened as a school in 1940 and remained in use as St. Bernard School, St. Bernard High School, P.G.T. Beauregard High School and, finally, P.G.T. Beauregard Middle School until 2005.
Read More >>