FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AUGUST 21, 2020
Contact Donald Bourgeois email@example.com 504-278-4280
St. Bernard Parish Update – AUGUST 21, 2020
Chalmette, LA – St. Bernard Parish President Guy McInnis declared a state of emergency for St. Bernard Parish this morning at 10:51am due to Tropical Storm Laura and Tropical Depression 14 and the threat to life and property of the citizens of St. Bernard Parish.
President McInnis is urging all Parish citizens to begin their personal preparations for the potential threats imposed by Tropical Storm Laura and Tropical Depression 14.
McInnis is also requesting that citizens with assets outside of the levee protection system make every effort to preserve those assets by moving them inside the levee protection system, this weekend.
As always, these assets will be moved inside the system on the westbound lane.
- President McInnis has ordered 6 – 12” trailered pumps in preparation of potential flooding due to levees overtopping in the Eastern end of our Parish.
- SELF SANDBAGGING WILL BE AVAILABLE BEGINNING SATURDAY, 8/22 THROUGH MONDAY, 8/24 FROM 6:30AM – 7:30PM.
EACH RESIDENT WILL BE LIMITED TO 10 SANDBAGS.
Residents can fill their sandbags at the following 10 locations:
- Norman’s Boxing Gym – 801 Community St., Arabi.
- St. Bernard Port – 100 Port Blvd., Chalmette.
- OTB – 4242 E. Judge Perez Dr., Meraux.
- Val Riess Complex – 1101 Magistrate St., Chalmette.
- Government Complex – 8201 W. Judge Perez Dr., Chalmette.
- Verret Fire Station #10 – 3901 Bayou Rd., St. Bernard.
- Patricia Park – 1809 Karl Dr., Arabi.
- Kenilworth Park – 2241 Bobolink Dr., St. Bernard.
- Historic Courthouse – 1201 Bayou Rd., St. Bernard.
- Vista Park – Buccaneer Villa North – 8540 Victory Dr., Chalmette.
Local Commercial Fishermen that are concerned about seeking safe harbor should contact :
Derek Boese, Chief Administrative Officer – Flood Protection Authority – East, for potential lock closures, times and dates.
- No evacuation mandated yet
- Parish personnel are currently cleaning drains and pumping down canals
- All internal Parish pumps are operational
- Parish is positioning assets to service the potential needs of the citizens
- Please pick-up anything on your property that could become a projectile or hazard
Everbridge Notification System
St. Bernard Parish uses Everbridge emergency notification system to alert residents about a variety of events, ranging from severe weather, fires, floods and other emergencies, to more routine announcements, such as road closures and water utility maintenance. Messages will be sent to residents on their preferred contact paths—cell phone, SMS, home phone, email, fax, pager and more—to ensure real-time access to potentially lifesaving information. Residents listed in the St. Bernard Parish 911 database will be automatically subscribed to alerts by phone, but Everbridge allows citizens to self-register, provide additional contact information or opt out. Visit https://member.everbridge.net/index/892807736729672#/signup to register.
Businesses can visit https://opensafely.la.gov/ and complete the quick process. They will receive the current life safety and COVID mitigation standards along with a placard to post. The business will then receive real-time updates on changes to include when opening is allowed for the specific type of business.
To hear the latest information from your parish officials visit www.facebook.com/StBGov or https://www.youtube.com/c/stbernardparishtelevision.
For the latest news and events for St. Bernard Parish Government Follow Us